Wednesday, April 19, 2006

With Friends Like That........



Did anyone else leave "Friends With Money" wanting to slit their wrists?

I don't want to ruin the suspense so in a brief synopsis I'll just say that it is about four late thirties-early forties friends. One (Frances McDormand) is married to a man who everyone thinks is gay; one (Joan Cusack) is very rich and married to a controlling man; one (Catherine Keener) is in a bad marriage that is coming apart at the seams and one (Jennifer Aniston) is single and working as a maid.

I have really enjoyed Nicole Holofcener's movies, "Lovely and Amazing" and "Walking and Talking" and this movie had some of her trademark quips and witicisms but it was just so annoying. And perhaps because it hit a little close to home.

But I really wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Jennifer Aniston's character. Not Jennifer Aniston, she was cute as always, but her character.

Yes, she has low self-esteem and yes, she has a history of picking the wrong men and men that are not good for her (who doesn't?). I got all that. But the way she lets the physical trainer guy trash on her was just downright aggravating and infuriating. Once was bad enough but she let it go on. Damn woman!

OK. I don't mean to imply that this movie sucked, because it didn't. It had some really funny moments and all the actors were wonderful, really wonderful. I was just depressed and annoyed by the message of the film, because it did hit close to home at this time that is a little difficult.

Oh, but the one thing that I have to bemoan is the blatant, blatant product placement. No one props their Fresh Express salad perfectly in the cart so you can perfectly read the name. And there were others that were really in your face. I know this is the wave and I expect it from films like MI-3 but I thought the Indies had a little more integrity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

darn, i was so hoping it would be good. I worship Catherine Keener.

Katchkie's Daughter said...

what a shame I thought that Jennifer Anniston was really trying harder to do better work. yikes.