Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Synchronicity

I was feeling particularly homesick for Charleston today. Probably because my parents just left after a week-long visit which isn't long enough. Just when I get cozy and comfortable having them close by again, whoosh, they are gone!

Also, maybe because my friend Emily had a baby today and I don't get to see him (the baby.)

Also perhaps because my friend Arlie died after a long, hard fight with ALS and I'm not around all the people who knew him to reminisce and mourn and celebrate his life. I won't be there for his memorial service. No outlet to say goodbye and remember and honor him.

Also because the Cooper River Bridge Run is Saturday. The first one on the new bridge. Last year when I did the last one on the old bridge with my friend Deirdre we talked about doing the first one on the new bridge. Deirdre is doing it. Go girl!

So, I was having all of these thoughts about home and family and friends and Charleston while I was walking Lucy and I looked down and saw a quarter in the grass. Now, I don't usually pick up quarters off the ground, you know germs and all, but something made me bend down to get it and I looked at it and almost keeled over. It was a South Carolina quarter. Weird, huh? There are 50 state quarters, not to mention the ones that don't even have states on them and I found a South Carolina one just when I was pining for home.

OK. It gets more synchronicitous (is that a word?). I went to get Lucy some dog food at a place I've never been. I noticed there was a frame shop next door and I've been carrying around the page that was made for me and I was given on my last day at the P&C, needing to get it framed forever.

So, I popped into the frame store. I get to talking with the guy, Lee, very nice and he looks at my page and notices it says Oldest Paper in the South or something like that. So he says, "Where in the south?" I told him Charleston. "I'm from Columbia," he says. Long story short, we have a great talk and now he is practically framing my page for free simply because we are kindred South Carolinians.

I love it when stuff like that happens. It put a much-needed smile on my face!

4 comments:

Paul said...

When LA gets tired, the desire for old familiar places tugs at your heart. I left LA for greener lands after working at MGM/UA for 9 years.

Katchkie's Daughter said...

Amazing that you found a SC coin!

Kelly Love said...

Really funny coincidences. Maybe you just need a visit home?

Charleston misses you too!

Anonymous said...

I miss Charleston too Mindy! It will always be a big part of us-no matter where we live! I will NEVER say I am from CLEVELAND-NEVER I TELL YOU!!!!