Thursday, March 16, 2006

Is It Only Day Three???

I want my MTV!!! Not really because I don't watch MTV, well except for "My Super Sweet Sixteen" and sometimes I used to watch "Laguna Beach" but today has been a tough day.

Serious withdrawel and crankiness. I found myself looking longingly at the TV more than once and I even habitually went over and without thinking reached for the power button but stopped myself and turned on the radio instead.

It's definitely escapism and boredom that leads me to the TV. It was a slow day. I got up early and got most of my work done very early so then what? I worked on my art piece, I scanned some photos to use in another piece, stuff like that but it just wasn't cutting it. What to do while the glue was drying on my art piece, which I ruined, I might add but I think I can fix it. Or change it to something else. Whatever. I really wanted to watch TV, really, really wanted to watch TV. But I didn't!

What did I do instead? What all the tough girls do when the going gets rough - I went shopping for an outfit for my date tomorrow night (yes, I said date) and then I came home and took a power nap. OK. Here' s where I confess. I actually laid down and was staring into space and going completely crazy so I picked up a book. I was just going to read one essay in David Rakoff's new book. I figured that even though it was cheating, it would be OK because it might be inspirational and it's nonfiction. So I read a couple of pages, very good by the way, and then felt so guilty I stopped and that's when I napped.

I don't know if I'm going to make it the whole week without media, but I'm still going to try. I do know that I'm learning what a huge chunk of my time mass media, particularly TV, has taken of my life and regardless if I make it the whole week cold turkey, I will not, I repeat, I will not watch as much TV as I did before this week.

Not only am I loving listening to and learning about classical music but it is inspiring unlike TV ever is. When I have the music on, I feel like being creative, making something, doing something. When the TV is on, I just want to be in a prone position, zoning out, doing nothing, creating nothing, not thinking for myself.

And of course sometimes it is OK to go to that zone out place. Sometimes the mind needs a break. I know I do. But too much, way too much. I might have to treat myself like a kid and tell myself I'm only allowed a certain amount of TV a day. That will be interesting too, to see what I will choose.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

unplug that evil box and put it in the closet. seriously - it's too tempting.
what i would give to see some march madness!
a date! Yippeee. can't wait to hear how it goes.
have fun and be strong. xo