Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Media Fast: Day Two

Oh, the humanity! Guess what arrived in the mail today. Yep. This week's Us magazine. Guess who's on the cover? Yep. My girl, Jessica. I immediately, well immediately after scanning the coverline, put it away to savor, err I mean flip through, next week.

Yesterday I remembered to cancel the LA Times for the week, but Us, well you know. I didn't cancel the Sunday NY Times because I figure I can read that Monday night when the fast is over.

So how's it going 48 hours in you ask? Well, I'll tell you. Not as bad as you might think. Once again the day was busy. I picked up Lucy's birthday and then went to Trader Joe's, where I bought some beautiful, bright yellow daffodils. They made me smile all the rest of the day.

After that I went back to the art store because I didn't like the paints I bought yesterday. I bought some new ones today as well as a palette and some interesting textured paper.

While there I saw a familiar face. You know how you think you know someone and start to say hi? I almost did that b/c we were on the same aisle looking at the same stuff then I realized she was an actress I had just seen in "Nine Lives." If you saw it, she was the one that wanted to see her father. She was also in "The Practice."

Anyway, so today, not so bad until that witching hour 8:30 p.m. I don't know why it is. I had a much easier time today just listening to the classical music, no TV, no newspaper, it was fine. I was a little anxious early in the afternoon when I wanted to sit down and rest with a book, but that passed. I cleaned my desk instead. Man, I shredded enough for a NYC ticker tape parade. It's much easier to work at my desk/kitchen table now.

But after dinner, steak I might add. I actually cooked steak and some asparagus risotto. Yumbo!! And since it's Lucy's birthday (have I mentioned that) I let her have some steak! I think this has been the best day of her life so far. But I digress.

So that after dinner period, where you are a little full, kinda tired and just want to vegetate on the couch for a few years in front of the tube. That is really hard. The key I think is having the supplies at hand to do something else. I think if I had not gone back to the art store and bought new paints, which I love by the way, I might have slid back.

I also printed out some photos for another project I want to start this week. It's also been hanging out there for awhile. So the trick is to be prepared and have something to work on that is interesting, fun, inspiring, entertaining, and will keep me going until bedtime.

I'm hanging in. Quite honestly, although I love my shows, it is the reading that is killing me. I can give up the TV but to not have reading in it's place is hard. But I'm adjusting and getting stuff done. (Although I do confess, I took a pretty substantial nap this afternoon. But I have cramps!) As my friend Richard said, "If I had to make the Sophie's Choice between books and TV, I'd definitely give up TV." He even has a 42" screen.

I did notice that today I did not look at the clock and think, "Hmmm. Oprah is on now" Or "Hmmm. It's almost time for Jon Stewart." Not once did I associate time with TV. I think that's a good sign.

Pushing forward to tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

am i breaking the law if i tell you what jessica did this week? it's great....so if i am breaking the law, please stop reading now.
she refused to attend a George Bush dinner! she'll be in DC on behalf of Operation Smile and refused the opportunity to lobby W, because Operation Smile is non-partisan. Good, good girl.

Keep up the great work and keep blogging about it. I love it.

Last and most important, Happy Birthday to Lucy from me. xo

Kelly Love said...

I am so impressed at your willpower, especially knowing how tuned in you usually are. You're inspiring me to do the same.

Keep it up! And happy b-day to the little one. What a great cake.