Tuesday, March 14, 2006

24 Hours and counting

Day One: I wake up and look at the clock and think "Oh, good. Just in time to watch "Charmed." Then I remember - no TV. No problem. I turn on the radio to the classical music station I found last night and carry on. Sounds good, huh? No problem, huh?

Well, if I'd sat down to write this an hour ago it would have been a much different post. Just in the last hour, starting at about 8:30 p.m. I started to hit withdrawal. Not so much for the TV, although it is my favorite TV night, but even to curl up with a book. I don't know what to do with myself.

Here's one thing I learned. I don't have to wear my glasses at night if I stay home because I only need them in the house to watch TV.

Here's what I did today. I actually got a lot done without the TV to distract me. I paid bills this morning. Then I went to do some errands. I finally mailed the baby gifts to two friends who are due any day now. I literally have had these sitting in my apartment for almost the entire gestation period.

I took myself to lunch at the Farmer's Market. Red beans and rice, yummy. On the way in, I checked in my bag to make sure I had my notebook since I usually read when I eat alone and I knew I couldn't do that (even though last week's "New York Magazine" was in the car). I did and I felt relieved. Then I thought, "Maybe I won't write in my notebook. Maybe I"ll just observe." So I did. On the way out, I passed a newsstand and saw the cover of Life magazine. It was about this being the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death. I stopped to thumb through but just as my hand reached for the magazine I remembered - "No, you can't" I said and by the expression on the faces of those nearby I think I said it aloud.

Then I ordered a birthday cake for Lucy from the doggie bakery. She will be 5 tomorrow. Happy Birthday Lucy Belle!

Next I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to buy something I've been putting off for years - a magnifying mirror. I was in denial that I needed one until I stayed at my friend Mary's, who has the mac daddy of magnifying mirrors, and I saw hairs on my chinny chin chin that were longer than some on my head. YIKES!!!! So I bought one.

Then I went to the art supply store. Something I've been threatening to do for like 3 months. And I didn't go to no Michael's, a crafty store. I went to a real art supply store, for real artists. And here's the synchronicity of the day - they had stretched, primed canvases on sale for practically nothing. I bought some. And I bought some paint and some brushes. I've never painted in my life but recently have had a hankering too. So I will.

I took a stab and got a little bit down on canvas. I'm not sure if I like it. It's not what I was thinking of doing, it kinda morphed into something else but hey, it's a start! And tomorrow when I look at it, it might morph into something else. Who knows.

So that brought me to about 8:30 p.m. What to do now.

I plucked the hairs from my chinny chin chin. I started to boil water for pasta, then decided I didn't want pasta so I made a bagel. That is after looking in the refrigerator a million times. Then I sat down to write this post. I'm almost finished. It's only 9:30.

What will I do now?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed you are doing this! Not having a tv (in Praha) took some getting used to, but in the end I am so much better for it. Perhaps a hobbie is next - knitting, painting, collages made from old mags, write letters?

Keep it up and I and know that I am here for support!
love
c

Anonymous said...

i meant to say - show us what you've painted. Hot damn you are on the ball. and i guess the magazine collage is out...what about organizing photo albums - something i always mean to do and never actually do.

Anonymous said...

You know I don't watch TV, so I'm excited for you. Once you break free, you may never go back!

When I read "YIKES!", I heard your voice in my head plain as day. It was creepy and cool and it made me laugh. It also made me think of Bedons Alley and when you predicted that I'll morph into JoAnn in 50 years, and we both said YIKES at the same moment, which was the precise second JoAnn walked by. HA!

Ida