Saturday, January 14, 2006

Brand New Diet Plan

So, remember when I said earlier that I had ordered a Chi flat iron and couldn't wait for it to arrive. I was certain it would change my life.
Well, little did I know it would also help me to lose weight! This is a great example of perception v. reality.
My flat iron arrived one day before I left to go home to Charleston for a couple of weeks. I quickly tried it out, loved it, and stuck it in my bag.
While home, I wore my hair straight most days. If I had a quarter for every person that said to me, "You look great. You've lost so much weight. LA certainly agrees with you," I could buy two Starbucks Vente nonfat vanilla lattes AND maybe even a slice of the lower fat lemon pound cake.
At first I said, "No. I haven't lost weight. In fact, I feel like I've gained some." But then I decided just to go with it and simply say "Thank you."
Needless to say I am now wearing my hair flat most of the time although I do feel a bit disloyal to my curly roots. What's wrong with curly hair anyway? All my life I've noticed that whenever fashion magazines do a hairstyle story, ALL of the models have straight hair. If by some remote chance they feature curly hair, generally, it is a straight haired girl who has just had her hair curled briefly for the photoshoot.
When I was a little girl, I hated my curly hair. I used to fight with it and cry to my mother that it was her fault I didn't have straight hair like all the other girls in my class. (I was the only Jewish kid in a class full of straight, swinging haired girls until fifth grade.)
Then as I got older I was convinced by hairdressers, friends and the various stranger who told me I had great hair that curly hair was special and exotic but apparently I have been deluding myself. Unfortunately, it's a straight hair world and I've finally had to succumb to that dictum.
I should have seen this coming with the advent of "revolutionary" hair straightening techniques that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars becoming all the rage and these super-duper irons that cost a pretty penny but are flying off shelves. (By the way, I've heard that the Thermal Reconditioning makes your hair fall out and I can only hope that happens to the evil woman I recently worked for.)
I resisted the straightening craze as long as I could but a girl can only hold out for so long. I broke down and bought the iron and when people started telling me I looked thin...well, here's where the story ends.

No comments: