Saturday, December 17, 2005

Musings

I saw a cute guy at the post office yesterday....then I heard him ask for a sheet of Ronald Reagan stamps. Immediately he became not so cute.

Same trip to the post office I was watching a cute couple mail a bunch of packages. It started me thinking about all of the people in the line mailing gifts to loved ones and I was imagining what was in the packages and whether the recipients would like their gifts and when the gifts would arrive and if they would wait until Christmas/Chanukah to open them. Then I looked again at the cute couple's packages and lo and behold, one was going to Eva Carter in Charleston and I wanted to say, "Hey, I know her," but I've learned the hard way that, unlike in the south, people here don't like to talk to strangers. When I told that story at breakfast this morning, 9-year old Matthew said it would be funny to go to the post office and just say to people, "Hey, I know that person" even if you don't. I love the way that kid thinks.

My old boss, old as of a week ago, doesn't like dogs. Not because she's afraid of them or got bitten once or anything like that. She just doesn't like them. I should have known it was not going to be a pleasant working environment.

When do you stop thinking of the place you grew up and your parents live as home? I keep saying, "I'm going home next week," and people are like, "LA is your home," and I'm like, "No, Charleston is my home." No matter where I've lived in the world, Charleston has always been and always will be, home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think you should have said something innocent like "her abstracts are amazing" because that seems like too much of a happy coincidence to let pass. You never know... they could have been a great connection to make as you build your network in LA. Perhaps Southern transplants themselves! You freely talk to everyone (even people we don't particularly like. ha! you're so good.); it is a wonderful part of who you are. You shouldn't let a new location dictate how you behave. You are you whether in LA or Charleston or Detroit or Vegas or Little Rock or Prague. Put your stamp on LA, don't cede to the way you think you should be. Blaze YOUR trail with your distinctively curly hair and genuine affection for people.

P.S. It is mid 30s and pouring rain.

Sunny LA: 1
Charleston: 0

IAB

Anonymous said...

Hi mindy be yourself no matter what anybody says.Being yourself can take you a long way in life.

ps. your dog is the bomb I had one almost the same but my best friend
died last week.