Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Young at Heart



I was already feeling a little foolish that some of my favorite TV shows are on the cable station, The N, which is a teen station. I can't help it. I loved "Degrassi Junior High" when it came out in the 80s and I still love it. Remember pregnant Spike or the school band named The Zit Remedy, later shortened to The Zits? Their hit song, "Everybody Wants Something" was quite catchy.
So it was only natural that I'd get hooked on "Degrassi-The Next Generation "or for those in the know just "Degrassi." In fact, some of the original characters are on "Degrassi," although now they are teachers and parents. But The Zits' song did make an appearance once. And so what if the original "Degrassi Junior High" is now called "Degrassi - Old School."
But finding "Degrassi" has led to a fixation with "Instant Star." It's aboot (not a typo, the show, like "Degrassi" is Canadian) a girl who wins an "American Idol" type show and how it affects her and her friends. It's fun. I like music, I like angst. What's a girl to do.
OK. Then came "South of Nowhere," the N's newest show. It takes place in LA. I have to watch it, right?
But I really started to worry the other night when I couldn't sleep so at 2 a.m. I turned on the TV and came across one of my favorite all time shows "My So-Called Life" starring none other than Claire Danes and Jared Leto before they were Claire Danes and Jared Leto. I was psyched. I loved that show. So I watched it and then the next day set my Tivo to record it because I was hoping that I wouldn't be up at 2 a.m. every night to watch it.
It didn't occur to me until later to see what channel it's on. Yep. You guessed it. My new favorite channel - The N. I'm certain I skew their demographics way out of the ballfield so call me Peter Pan but I'm not giving up my teen angst.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having lived through the teenage years with 3 kids, I have no desire to go back and re-experience the angst, the secret parties, the bong under the bed, the lunkhead boyfriends,the high drama of an unexpected breakout... need I say more? Reliving it might put me over the edge.

Anonymous said...

I love Degrassi Jr/High too. And now I'm stuck on the N! and watch the Next Generation.