Monday, May 08, 2006

"Manthem"

What's the deal with BK these days? First they bring us that really creepy King guy that I gotta tell you, If I woke up and saw him sitting on the edge of the bed, I'd call 911!

Now they bring us their latest commercial which they call "Manthem" and is it just me or does anyone find it insulting and offensive? I mean I have a pretty good sense of humor but they have appropriated one of the greatest feminist anthems and turned it into, well, exactly what they call it - a Manthem.

"I am Woman" was a battle cry, a confidence booster, a statement of purpose for women in the '70s who were fighting for equal rights. Now it's a mockery. I can't believe Helen Reddy gave the rights for her song to be so abused.

There have been so many signs in the past few years that we are on a slippery slope where women's rights are concerned but I have always tried to remain optimistic. Even when I saw those girls wearing those obnoxious tshirts (see previous post), even with the Supreme Court a disaster but jeez louise when a major corporation thinks it's okay to make fun of the women's movement a mere thirty years after its heyday, I just don't know what to think.

Here are the original words:
Words and Music by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton
I am woman, hear me roar In numbers too big to ignore And I know too much to go back an' pretend 'cause I've heard it all before And I've been down there on the floor No one's ever gonna keep me down again CHORUS Oh yes I am wise But it's wisdom born of pain Yes, I've paid the price But look how much I gained If I have to, I can do anything I am strong (strong) I am invincible (invincible) I am woman You can bend but never break me 'cause it only serves to make me More determined to achieve my final goal And I come back even stronger Not a novice any longer 'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul CHORUS I am woman watch me grow See me standing toe to toe As I spread my lovin' arms across the land But I'm still an embryo With a long long way to go Until I make my brother understand Oh yes I am wise But it's wisdom born of pain Yes, I've paid the price But look how much I gained If I have to I can face anything I am strong (strong) I am invincible (invincible) I am woman Oh, I am woman I am invincible I am strong FADE I am woman I am invincible I am strong I am woman

Instead of a parody, maybe one of those pop singers that are so admired by the generation that does not even know who Gloria Steinem is, should do a remake and remind girls today that they have a lot to lose. Jessica???

1 comment:

Katchkie's Daughter said...

Perhaps this will help a few female cardiologists. One can only hope. - Jessica?