Thursday, May 04, 2006

Raw Food



raw food v. chocolate cake





I keep seeing these raw food restaurants sprouting up all over the place (get it, sprouting, get it, get it??)

What the hell? Isn't a raw food establishment called a grocery store, where you buy your raw food and then take it home and COOK IT!!!

At first I thought raw food was just another word for vegetarian but then I read a little about it and it turns out it really is eating uncooked food. Vegetarians eat, well, vegetables but they are not soley devoted to uncooked food. Raw Foodists (that's what they are called) are. Apparently it's to keep the enzymes active which is supposed to be good for you, I don't know.

I also learned that there are subcategories of raw foodists:
Fruitarian - People who consume mostly fruits.
Sproutarian - People who consume mostly sprouts.
Juicearian - People who consume mostly fresh juice.

I find that so amusing. Sounds very extra-terrestrial. Can you imagine consuming mostly sprouts. EWWW!

I learned all of this from a pretty interesting website on the topic. It talks about why raw food and what raw foodists eat but when I read this, I laughed so hard I almost fell off the chair. "For some delicious recipes, see our recipe section!"(They put the exclamation point in there, not me, which makes it even funnier.) Hello - the food is raw therefore, no recipes. And that's not even mentioning the oxymoron there.

I muse about all this raw food as I prepare to embark on a new venture called culinary school. I have yet another confession to make...I love to cook. Always have, I just don't do it often for various reasons one being I live alone and it's a pain to cook for myself, but I love to cook for others, set a beautiful table, present beautiful and delicious food and then reap the praises from a table of well-sated guests. And then of course, the denouement, the dessert, which I've always prided myself on. I've loved to bake since I was a little girl, most probably because I love to eat dessert!

So next week I begin my Pro Baking classes and then in July I'll start Pro Chef classes.

So to raw food I say phooey - Prepare to be cooked!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool - i hope to see more postings !
Good luck

Anonymous said...

that's fantastic, Mindy!

Anonymous said...

there is plenty of scope to create using uncooked food..oviously you were so busy taking the piss that you missed that bit..there are loads of photos and recipe for elaborate raw food dishes..eating raw isnt about just eating lettuce or apples..it can be a simple or complicated as you want.
and did you read how wonderful raw food makes you feel and why..

mindy jo said...

Actually, I did read how supposedly wonderful raw food makes you feel, which is why I added the link so that everyone could read for themselves and make their own decisions.
Me thinks the raw foodist here is a bit sensitive about his/her food choice!